Monday, October 26, 2009

Texas Style Chili

In case you didn't know..... IT IS FALL!!!!!!
I love this time of year so much. Other than some memories th
at are hard for me at this time of year, it is probably my favorite few months of the year. The weather is just gorgeous, the trees are so distinct, and of course the FOOD! :)

Let's just be honest the food at any time of year is the biggest thing we look forward to. Fall brings wiener roasts, s'mores, pumpkin flavors, cinnamon, nutmeg, apples, caramel, soups, and of course CHILI! Confession ALERT: until the last year or two I wouldn't eat chili. NEVER in a million years would I have eaten, let alone MAKE it!

I've grown up though folks and here I am, a total chili LOVER! We
ndy's chili was what originally got me hooked and I only ate it because I was trying to eat a little healthier to fit into my wedding dress. Chili at Wendy's was a better option than the fried chicken sandwhich and french fries I used to get there! So now I love chili of all kinds but not too spicy. The following chili has become my all time FAVARITO! It came from my Mother-In-Law's friend and I have changed it a little bit to fit my taste and to simplify it. Feel free to do the same! :)

Texas Chili *This was a double batch in the pictures, recipe is a single batch*
3-5 lbs stew meat
1 Tbsp vinegar
3 beef bouillon cubes
1 envelope of dry onion soup mix
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 onion chopped (I only use a full onion if I make a double batch cause we don't like it much)
1 can of rotel (only used 1 can in the double batch and it worked fine)
2 cans kidney beans- drained and rinsed
1 can of chili beans
Toppings (Optional): Cheddar cheese, fritos, sour cream

Put meat in a 4-5 qt heavy stock pot with 1/2 cup of water (with
double batch don't double water.)

Cover and cook on med/high until meat is cooked and grayish. About 30 minutes.

Uncover and cook away juices, turn meat so that it browns as evenly as possible. About 25 minutes. Lift out meat and put into a separate bowl.

In original pan add 1/4 cup of water and vinegar. Scrape down sides to loosen any brown bits (YUMMY!) and add bouillon cubes, onion soup, chili powde
r, and onion. Cook and stir for 10 minutes.

Add rotel and beans.

Stir to mix well before adding the meat back into the pot.
Cover and simmer until the meat falls apart- 2 hours is good but
can simmer for a while if needed.

**I added some tomato juice and water to this batch because it was pretty thick. It IS a thick chili so add as much tomato juice as you feel comfortable for your taste. Have fun with it!**

Dave loves his with fritos and cheese, I also put sour cream on mine. Woop woop!

Lastly- keep your dogs away from it. My dogs accidentally got a taste of chili a while back and now ANY time they smell that wonderful aroma they go nuts! I was sitting here working on this post and looking at Facebook and had to snap this shot!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Hmm, your chili looks wonderful! I always make my same ole same ole chili, so I'll have to give yours a try!

Jenna said...

It's really good- more of a thicker stew than a true chili. But SOOO yummy!